Greetings, PMI Alaska Chapter members!
UAA MSPM Program (University of Alaska Anchorage – Master of Science in Project Management Program) and Project Management Institute-Alaska Chapter (PMIAK) are joining forces to work together and expand project management!! Here are some details of an innovative collaborative approach which has a scheduled Pilot Program for the fall of 2017:
PMIAK, UAA MSPM Program, Companies and Non-Profits -
- As part of their academic assignments, students of the MSPM Program will have the opportunity to experience real project management by working on projects of PMIAK, local companies or local non-profits.
- Students of the MSPM Program may choose to do some volunteer work (non-related to academic assignments) and share project management fundamentals with non-profit agencies. The material for that initiative is from PMIEF (Project Management Institute Educational Foundation.
- Another opportunity to students may be the participation in an MSPM Internship Program.
IMPORTANT Steps of the Process Workflow (click on the link below to view)
- Information on projects a student can work on is provided to PMIAK President by PMIAK Board Members and Chapter Members.
- PMIAK Board will consolidate information received by Chapter Members and will also prioritize projects suggested by Board Members.
- The final list – composed of projects needs of the Board and Chapter Members as well as Internship opportunities - presented to students is provided to UAA MSPM Faculty by PMIAK President.
- UAA MSPM Faculty – Professors LuAnn Piccard and Roger Hull – coordinate with student project selection as well as the details of student participation in an Internship Program.
- Academic advice/assistance is provided to student by UAA MSPM Faculty during their work on projects and Internship Program.
- If a student chooses to do volunteer work – sharing project management knowledge and skills – for non-profit agencies, assistance and material is provided to them by Josiane Ballin, PMIAK-PMIEF Liaison.
PMIAK members: you are the main stakeholders of this project!! It is a great opportunity offered to you by PMIAK to have quality supervised project management applied to the project needs of your organization. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to actively participate in this collaborative approach. Are there projects at your company/agency that could use an MSPM student to manage? If so, please let us know about these projects!!
All the best,